Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Just the begining...

Nicaragua was AMAZING! There are no words! Every time someone asks how the trip went I am at a loss for words. It was just incredible! I have so much to say but I think I’m going to tackle one thing at a time so the next few blogs with probably all be about Nicaragua.

Last August I went to Guatemala with a friend of mine. It was my first time out of the country and with a group of people I only knew one person. I loved it! We went to dedicate a church the group had built there and the help the leaders of the church step up and out. I was shocked at the poverty down there. Houses made of sticks and children with one pair of clothes. No stove, microwaves, hair dryer. You see pictures of these places that are like that in magazines and other peoples mission trip pictures but when you see it for yourself it becomes real. It changed my heart. I came back from that trip just with a love for the people and a desire to meet their needs. But also share the love of Christ with them and let them know someone does truly care about them. I couldn’t really describe this to my family when I got back. It frustrated me. They could look at my pictures and hear my stories but unless they knew that person, saw them in their stick and trash made house with rats running around and a smile on their face they wouldn’t get it.

I ended up talking to my parents and telling them “You have to experience this!” There was just no way to describe it. So in March a girl from my church was organizing a trip to Nicaragua and invited everyone to join her. I was jumping up and down! I was like here it is! We have to go as a family. We went to the meeting and I really thought my parents were kidding. The whole family going to Nicaragua for a week?? REALLY? Dad barely gets a weekend off, let alone a WEEK!! I was ecstatic to go serve God as a family! (If you ever get the chance DO IT!!)

It had to be the best experience we have ever had as a family! I enjoyed seeing how each of my family members interacted with the kids and just loved on them! Memories to last a lifetime and that we will always share together. It really brought us closer as a family.

Kinch (my older brother) playing with Stephanie. I absolutely LOVE this picture. She captured his heart.

Darby (my younger sister) lovin this boy. He adored her.

Leanna (my sister-in-law) lovin on the sweetest little baby!

Momma doing round and round the garden patch to a little girl! They loved this! :)

This little boy LOVED DaddyO! He just hung around him. Dad gave him his hat and sunglasses the last day and he was soooo excited! haha

The family! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment